Mike Pence denies meeting to oust Donald Trump, disputing NYT op-ed

USA TODAY

Published 9:33 AM EDT Sep 9, 2018

Mike Pence denies meeting to oust Donald Trump, disputing NYT op-ed

WASHINGTON – Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday he has never been involved in a conversation about removing President Donald Trump from office, and said he would take a lie detector test "in a heartbeat" to prove he didn't write the anonymous New York Times op-ed published last week.

Pence and presidential adviser Kellyanne Conway appeared on multiple Sunday political shows to push back against a series of stunning accusations about Trump that surfaced in the op-ed and in excepts from Bob Woodward's forthcoming book.

"Whoever wrote that editorial, and the narrative that comes out of some other writings recently, just doesn't know what really happens in this White House," Pence said on CBS's "Face the Nation." "The only thing that's wrong about that narrative is everything."

Pence denied a claim raised in the op-ed that members of the administration had secretly considered invoking the 25th Amendment as a means to remove the president from office. The vice president said he had never been involved in any such conversation.  

More: Eight things to know about the 25th Amendment

"No. Never. And why, why would we be?" Pence said. 

Pence is one of several White House officials who have denied writing the op-ed. He reiterated that assertion, telling "Fox News Sunday" that he would take a lie detector test to prove it. 

"I would agree to take it in a heartbeat and would submit to any review (by) the administration," Pence said. 

The vice president said he is also confident that members of his staff had nothing to do with its authorship. Pence said he hadn't asked his aides because he doesn't need to.  

"I'm 100 percent confident that no one on the vice president's staff was involved in this anonymous editorial," Pence said.  

0 Comment

NO COMMENTS

Comments are closed.